Follow by Email

Monday, September 11, 2017

Captain Beefheart Poetry reading/performance: 11th November 2017 Bluecoat Liverpool

The Captain has been here before (as can be seen from this picture that is, in Liverpool anyway, pretty iconic), but a whole day is being dedicated to him, and Patricia and I are both reading (she's the big fan; I'm more of a bluesman, quizzical at his cubist appropriations of the tradition) at the kind invitation of the co-organizer, Chris McCabe.I'm pleased to say we've both submitted our poems for the zine that will be produced; now we've got to figure out ways of performing our very different poems. 

The full details are available here

http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/events/view/events/3717

At the event on Saturday 11th November we'll each have a slot of of four minutes to read our poems (it's a megalist of readers but I'm not sure I can reveal it yet) and also to talk about any aspects of the process, or anything we want to say about Beefheart. I might blow a little of dat harp man (I have Strictly Personal as my album and it starts with a version of Son House's 'Death Letter Blues', by sheer coincidence a song I used to sing with Little Albert Fly) but I have nothing to say. Patricia is also on a panel to discuss the Captain's poetry earlier in the day.

Our event will take place between 5-6.30pm, but the day will begin at 11am with the Beefheart symposium and a chance to see an archive display and films that will run at Bluecoat. There is music in the evening. (The Magic Band is playing elsewhere the night before...)

I'm listening to Raphael Roginski as I type this up. Somehow right. He's playing Purcell...